Picnic is the world’s fastest growing online supermarket. With a unique business model and a highly engaged customer base, we aim to revolutionize the world of logistics, delivery, and groceries. Beyond that, we love working towards a greener future by using purpose-built route-planning algorithms and running a 100% electrical fleet of delivery vans. But we’re just getting started.
🏢 Where you fit in
Picnic is looking for a passionate database engineer who loves to support others to get the most out of their database usage.Your skills will be part of the foundation of Picnic's promise of an effortless shopping experience for millions of customers. Your expertise will be used by engineering and product teams to help them build the most performant, most reliable solutions for our customers. You will be (one of) the first database specialists to help all product and engineering teams to efficiently and effectively use and operate databases at scale.
As a database engineer you work on a broad set of projects, focussed on reviewing new deployments and advising on improving existing deployments. You will investigate performance challenges, implement optimizations to further improve resource usage and support teams to deal with operating databases at scale. And on top of all, you will be responsible for sharing knowledge and learnings throughout the company.
🔥 What challenges await you
- Take a leadership role in driving effective usage of databases
- Be a point of contact for advice on changes and new designs
- Create tools and processes for effective database management, usage and data protection
- Analyze, assess and respond to performance degradations or operational issues
- Conduct regular deployment reviews and advise teams on how to improve their existing configurations
👉🏼 Who you are
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- At least 3 years of relevant industry experience working with databases
- A profound understanding of relational and non-relational databases
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and/or MongoDB schema modeling and evolution and a knack for identifying shortcomings in designs and query access patterns
- Ability to clearly articulate the why, what, and when of your projects
👩💻 The tech we use
- PostgreSQL on AWS RDS and VMware
- Repmgr, haproxy, keepalived and barman
- MongoDB on Atlas
- Kubernetes via Helm
- AWS via Terraform
- VMware via Ansible
🍩 Picnic perks
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the startup life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here.
Our tech team consists of 15 product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
If you are joining us from a country that doesn’t allow traveling to the Netherlands just yet due to Covid-19, there's a chance that your onboarding could take place remotely. We had lots of new team members starting their Picnic-journey remotely already, you can have a peek at how it's going here.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch! And no worries, the whole process is currently fully remote, to keep everyone safe and healthy.
- CV screening
- Phone conversation
- Online test*
- On-site day*
* Depending on the role