Experienced Machine Learning Engineer
Experienced Machine Learning Engineer
Do you want to be part of the supermarket revolution? At Picnic, you get the chance to join a young and forward-thinking startup culture, where everything you do matters. With a data-driven approach and an incredible service, Picnic strives to make grocery shopping simple, fun, and affordable for everyone. Known for our just-in-time supply-chain and a unique last-mile delivery strategy, we have become one of the fastest-growing companies of the Netherlands!
We’re data-driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support our app-only supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping.
🏦 Where you fit in
In our innovative startup environment, you work on creating automated systems to solve everyday problems by using data at scale. You have a strong interest in the problems that can be tackled with machine learning and a great understanding of different AI models. You will work together with different teams to identify issues and create new strategies. With the Growth team, you build a model that tells us how many orders we can expect in a day, week or month so that our operations can grow accordingly. Together with Customer Success, you construct a system to classify and label issue types in the messages we receive from our customers. You are more than a model builder: you’re an internal consultant, and your expertise and input are valued right from the start.
Our data is registered, logged, consistent...immaculate. There’s no wasting time. As one of our Machine Learning engineers, you can immediately start writing prototypes and make an impact on the future of in-app grocery shopping. But, you don’t stop after the prototype is done - you productionize it.
We don’t hide our developments. We open-source with the community that helped us grow. If you require more motivation to apply - check out our page: http://picnic.tech
🔥 What challenges await you
- Projects in various fields, such as:
- Recommendation systems: generating useful in-app grocery suggestions for our customers
- Fraud detection
- Forecasting demand: order volumes, article demand and trip forecasting, used Picnic-wide
- Predicting delivery drop-off times for our distribution
- Natural Language Processing: create automated systems to categorize and label Customer Success tickets
- Speccing projects with business stakeholders
- Creating prototypes, validating results and productionizing them on our Kubernetes cluster
- Owning your projects: helping end-users interpret the results, determining next steps, et cetera
👉🏼 Who you are
- Master’s degree or higher in AI, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field
- 6 years of work experience
- Very experienced in Python and SQL
- Strong software engineering background: testing, setting up a (model-as-a-)service, coding standards, etc.
- Strong infra background: Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD, and comparable tools
- Successful track record of developing and deploying production grade machine learning solutions at scale
- Familiar with big data tools like Hadoop/Spark and/or experience with unstructured data and related tools like NoSQL databases
- Superb communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge to the rest of the team
- Quality control: Commitment to excellence, performance, and efficiency
👨🏼💻 Technologies we use
- Python (Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, aiohttp - or we build our own packages)
- SQL (Snowflake, Postgres)
🍩 Picnic perks
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the startup life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here.
Our tech team consists of 15 product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in. What are you waiting for? Get in touch!
- CV screening
- Phone conversation
- Online test*
- On-site day*
* Depending on the role