Picnic is rethinking the way people buy food. Without physical stores, we use an app-only approach and a user-centric philosophy, to make grocery shopping quick, simple, and fun.
Starting in one Dutch town in 2015, we now serve over 60 cities in both the Netherlands and Germany. The secret to our success? An end-to-end business and a just-in-time supply chain. From the app-only store, forecasting of orders, warehouse fulfillment, to the evolving distribution strategy of our fleet of electric vehicles, we build everything in-house on our own software.
The team has expanded from 10 to over 200 in 3 years. Growth has been exponential and we’re not the only ones to say so. With multiple awards to our name and a Series B funding round of 100 million, we have become true disruptors in some of the most challenging industries: inner-city logistics, e-commerce retail, and enterprise software. And thanks to our people-first attitude and a friendly delivery team, we become an integral part of every neighborhood we serve.
In that spirit, we are launching the Picnic Tech Traineeship, a one-year program for graduates to learn from the software developers the city has to offer while being part of a fun, young, and international team, and building and managing your own projects.
🏦 Where you fit in
Being part of the Tech Traineeship means being a full-fledged Software Developer with a few extra perks. From Day 1, you’ll be embedded in a product team, and start working alongside the greatest minds on this side of the border.
You’ll take ownership of your own projects, directly impacting the business. Next to that, you’ll get to learn directly from experts in the fields of software development, platform management, and data engineering, and apply that knowledge firsthand.
To help in your studies, you’ll also have the opportunity to attend conferences outside Picnic, meet with fellow trainees over food and drinks, and follow professional skills’ training.
Your skills will be complemented with the latest tech. We are committed to pushing development wherever possible: We started using Java 11 in January 2019 for all of our backend.
We don’t hide our developments. We open-source with the community that helped us grow. If you require more motivation to apply - check out our page: http://picnic.tech
🔥 What challenges await you
- Design, develop, and test new user-facing features of our platform
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Monthly classes with field experts on a variety of topics.
- Rotate product teams every month to experience all aspects of software development
👉🏼 Who you are
- MSc in Computer Science or similar
- 1 year (or less) of programming experience within a professional environment
- Available fulltime (40 hours per week) from February ‘20 on
- Fluent in English, Dutch not required
👩💻 Technologies you’ll use
- Java 11 (Reactor and Spring 5)
- ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Kinesis
- Maven and Git
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Spark, Elastic MapReduce (EMR)
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault
Hungry for more? Check out https://stackshare.io/picnic-technologies for an overview of our tech stack.
💎 Your perks
- Competitive salary
- Gear of your choice
- Extensive educational budget
- Private talks by experts in the fields of software development, data engineering, etc.
- Trainees’ drinks and/ or dinners
- Professional skills’ training (in partnership with Lepaya)
- CV screening
- Phone conversation
- Online test*
- On-site day*
* Depending on the role