At Picnic we care about health and safety, so currently all interviews are done online and our team is working from home. We keep a close eye on the developments around Covid-19, and support your relocation to Amsterdam when it is safe to do so. It is possible to start working remotely with us - have a peek at how the remote onboarding is going here.
Do you want to be part of the grocery revolution? At Picnic, you get the chance to join a young and forward-thinking startup culture, where everything you do matters. With a data-driven approach and an incredible service, Picnic strives to make grocery shopping simple, fun, and affordable for everyone. Known for our just-in-time supply-chain and a unique last-mile delivery strategy, we have become one of the fastest-growing companies of the Netherlands!
We’re data-driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support our app-only supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping.
🏦 Where you fit in
As one of our Data Scientists, you work on creating intelligent, automated systems to solve our company’s biggest problems, at scale. You don’t stop with building a model - you productionize it alongside the wide variety of models we already have running in production.
In our innovative startup environment, you work closely with business leads to identify and solve problems leveraging machine learning. With the Growth team, you build a model that tells us how much orders we can expect in a day, week, or month so that our operations can grow accordingly. Together with Customer Success, you construct a system to classify and label issue types in the messages we receive from our customers. You are more than a model builder: you’re a blend of internal consultant, software engineer, and applied mathematician.
You might think – ‘I like the sound of it, but 80% of my job is going to be cleaning data’. Not here. Our data is registered, logged, consistent...immaculate. There’s no wasting time. We are a mature team with the infrastructure, tools, and expertise to get models into production.
We have shared some of our past machine learning projects: https://blog.picnic.nl/tagged/machine-learning
🔥 What challenges await you
- Projects in various fields, such as:
- Recommendation systems: generating useful in-app grocery suggestions for our customers
- Search and suggest
- Fraud and outlier detection
- Forecasting demand: order volumes, article demand and trip forecasting, used Picnic-wide
- Predicting delivery drop-off times for our distribution
- Natural Language Processing: create automated systems to categorize and label Customer Success tickets
- Improving operational efficiency in our automated fulfillment center
- Working closely with business leads to identify opportunities, define the business case, and scope out the requirements
- Owning your own project from inception to production
- Developing tools and enhancements for our cloud-based data science platform
👉🏼 Who you are
- Master’s degree or higher in AI, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- At least two years of experience in data science
- Superb communication skills and ability to transfer knowledge to business stakeholders and the rest of the data science team
- Strong Python and SQL skills
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes and CI is a plus
- Comfortable with taking responsibility and working independently
- Out-of-the-box thinking, able to take the initiative, and a nothing-is-impossible mindset
- Quality control: commitment to excellence, performance, and efficiency
👨🏼💻 Technologies we use
- Python (Scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow, aiohttp - or we build our own packages)
- SQL (Snowflake, Postgres)
🍩 Picnic perks
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the startup life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here.
Our tech team consists of 15 product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
If you are joining us from a country that doesn’t allow traveling to the Netherlands just yet due to Covid-19, there's a chance that your onboarding could take place remotely. We had lots of new team members starting their Picnic-journey remotely already, you can have a peek at how it's going here.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch! And no worries, the whole process is currently fully remote, to keep everyone safe and healthy.
- CV screening
- Phone conversation
- Online test*
- On-site day*
* Depending on the role